A Friday night dinner of Fish and Chips may be a stereotype of the UK, but it’s not false. Up and down the country, for most people, Friday is a day where fish is most certainly eaten and more often than not, accompanied by a hearty portion of chips (or fries for our American readers).
So with today being a Thursday, and Friday calling our names! Naturally we began thinking and talking about this tradition we hold dear. We thought, what modern day twist can we apply using what we have available?
You see, as much as we love things like Swedish Fish Gummies, we need to some what keep in line with tradition and try to please both Americans and Britains. So we’ve settled on our ingredients. Pepperidge Farm Goldfish and Andy Capp’s Fries.
Below we are going to list what we believe are the best options available for both brands and give our verdict on the flavours that make the cut!
Before we get down to discussing which Goldfish we are going to go with, and which of Andy Capp’s Fries are our favourite, we thought you best understand a bit about each brand!
- Pepperidge Farm Goldfish began there life in Switzerland. Margaret Rudkin was visiting Switzerland, and fell in love with them. So she bought them outright as a sort of entrepreneurial souvenir, not knowing they’d become what they are today!
- Pepperidge Farm makes close to 150 billion individual Goldfish every year. See, there really are plenty more fish in the sea!
- In 1988, Goldfish crackers traveled into space. They were part of the mission to make the trip less boring for the crew. Those Goldfish traveled 1.7 million miles…
- Andy Capp’s is based off of English comic strip created by cartoonist Reg Smythe, seen in The Daily Mirror and The Sunday Mirror newspapers since 5 August 1957.
- They’re similar to Chipsticks in texture and size.
- Although consumers began crunching on Andy Capp’s fries back in 1971, the introduction of Hot Fries in 1973 is what really ignited the brand.
Here’s how we rank Pepperidge Farm Goldfish for our dinner:
1st place: Pepperidge Farm Xtra Cheddar
Pepperidge Farm Goldfish have produced many wonderful flavours, both sweet and savoury. They have even have variants of the same flavour so this was never going to be an easy task!
We decided on Xtra Cheddar as our favourite – a variant of ‘Cheddar’ Goldfish. We are absolutely crackers for cheese and so too are our customers. If you’re out for a meal and are offered extra cheese, do you say no? We hope not!
We love the way the extra ‘blasted flavour’ adds a new touch, taking it up a notch. Dehydrated flakes dust the entire Goldfish from head to tail. Very similar to the dusting of a dorito.
Check them out here!
2nd place: Goldfish Parmesan
You may be skeptical about this flavour of Goldfish. We were to begin with too. Many brands have tried incorporating such a flavour into their product and time after time have fallen short.
As the saying goes, there is a first time for everything. And let us tell you, these Parmesan Goldfish are terrific! Somehow, they have absolutely captured the parmesan flavour to a very authentic taste.
To be able to make any cheese tasting item an authentic taste is difficult. But to be able to not only be authentic but be easyily recognisable as a cheese that isn’t cheddar, is a great triumph!
We think you’ll love them. Shop here!
3rd goes to: Smores
A lot of our readers and regulars are known to have quite the sweet tooth! So this one is for you. Smores. The perfect treat for around the campfire. This bag is the perfect mix of Graham Cracker Goldfish, Marshmallow and Chocolate.
An absolute must try and a stand out from the rest.
We urge you. Do yourself a favour.
As mentioned, no Friday night dinner is done without a generous serving of chips (or fries)… Let’s take a look at our two choices of fries to compliment our fish!
We ran into a small issue when trying to decide which of the Andy Capp’s Fries we were going to use. Both of the flavours shown above are really quite good. Both flavours certainly deliver the crunch and punch of flavour.
A smokey bbq tang on one side vs tongue tingling heat. So we’ve decided, you can decide. Decide and let us know what are your favourites!
Of course, no dinner would be complete without some sauce and seasoning, right? Below we have compiled a list of some different additions you can make!
- Bull’s Eye BBQ Sauce – Original
- Vlasic Kosher Dill Spears
- Rotel Chilli Tomatoes
- Kernel Seasoning – Buffalo Wing
However you have you fish and chips, there’s always a way to spice things up!